Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More than one BOM? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jboggs

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2012
US
Running SW2013. I have one sub-assembly that appears in two different configurations, one of each, known as INBOARD and OUTBOARD, on a larger machine. The current documentation the maint. techs are used to working with was done in AutoCAD and has no BOM "intelligence" to it like SW does. The numerous changes over the years, done by different engineers at different times on different drawings, none of whom wanted to redraw the whole thing, have resulted in a situation where in order to completely rebuild one of these assemblies correctly the technician must consult several different drawings, ignoring some of the information on each, and always remember to consult with the last guy that touched it. I'm sure some of you can relate. I have decided to bite the bullet and redo the whole thing in Solidworks.

I would like to have one drawing that would show both configurations with a separate BOM for each. Can one drawing do that? Have more than on BOM?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure for 2013 but for 2014 and 2016 you can have one view of the assembly showing the first configuration and attaching a BOM to it. You can then insert a second view of the same assembly but showing the second configuration with it's own BOM. You should see the name of the configuration besides the quantity in the BOM table. So yes you can have two separate BOM in one drawing.

Patrick

Also you can select which configuration is shown in the BOM. Click on the bom and in the Property manager there is an option for the configurations.

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back