Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Most Critical M & N Couple for SLS Analyses

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdbd

Geotechnical
Sep 17, 2015
DK
Hi!
My problem is, in my opinion, should be very common, but have not seen many posts.
I have a shell and with most software, I can get an envelope of results along many load combinations. The structure I am working on is mostly governed by SLS (Crack Width). So, I go in and get the shell results envelope and get the minimum axial force with its corresponding bending moment and maximum bending moment with its corresponding axial force. However, these MN couples do not govern the SLS analyses, values in-between these two edges govern. I have shown this in the following figure. The orange line is capacity for given crack width criteria. As you can see edges do not govern.
So, I am trying to find a way to simplify the selection of "design couples". I have tried M/W+N/A, it also doesn't work. Does everybody just go and get the maximum and minimum? (Please don't comment on the "reliability of crack width calculations is very low so why bother" etc. I am trying to find the correct way to reach most critical value.)
VfSApNmxZn_jjyerm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back