Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Most efficient way to pump a low fixed volume at high pressure 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BjornM

Computer
May 9, 2021
SE
I want to pump 1 L of mineral oil into a bladder at 100 bar pressure using as little energy as possible. Flow rate is not important. What type of pump would be the best choice?

I've looked at diaphragm pumps, but not found any that can handle 100 bar.

I've also looked at using a 1 L hydraulic cylinder as a pump and push it using an electric motor.

I assume some type of positive displacement pump is the most effective, but I'm not sure about what type.

I appreciate any suggestion.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want to do it cheaply, get a 1/2 hp hydraulic pump, and a pressure relieving bypass valve - typical pumps will put out a few gpm at 3000 psi, if you want less flow you just bypass the excess back to the tank. This setup should cost less than $500. Metering pumps will run well north of $1500. Why is this the cheapest? Because the cheapest driver you can buy on the market is a 1/2hp electric induction motor. Check the price for a 1/4 or 1/8hp motor compared to 1/2hp. Since every consumer device with an electric motor plugs into a 15 or 20 amp circuit, manufacturers buy 1/2 hp motors by the thousands...and price comes down as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back