Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mot of waterway traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

David H.

Civil/Environmental
Sep 22, 2020
US
Has anybody ever developed MOT for waterway/boat traffic on a river or lake? We are developing a deck replacement project for a 6 span bridge in NW Indiana and need to add some MOT for the boat traffic. I have searched USACE and Coast Guard for guidance on standards for this type of information to include in the plans. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've been involved with some projects over navigable water but we never did MOT drawings. Everything was covered by notes mostly provided by the Coast Guard. See attached; this is from a fairly recent project I worked on in NYC. You have to meet with the CG to work out the details. USACOE doesn't get involved in MOT. They're more concerned with physical impacts to the waterway - dredging, filling, etc - but you still need a permit from them.

Usually what we show in addition to the notes is the location of the turbidity curtain; location of the channel and the clearances; navigation lights, and the Coast Guard warning sign that gets mounted to both fascias.

I bet SRE would have a good handle on this; he was a bridge contractor.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=77513f22-edf9-4180-8422-3113e1f8d5ea&file=FC.pdf
Thank you, bridgebuster, the navigation notes on the drawings you attached are spot on. These are my experiences:

Maintenance of (waterway) traffic is considered part of the Contractor's means & methods (subject to review and acceptance by authorities), but not all waterway traffic has the same priority:

Commercial water traffic pretty much has the right of way and the Contractor has to plan his work to allow for this. One reason - difficult for a tug to bring a barge(s) to a stop and "stand by" until the waterway can be reopened.

Contractor has to accommodate recreational boating, but not on a continuous basis. Would be reasonable for the waterway will be open only at certain times during the workday. This could be, say, waterway open for a short time at 10 AM, Noon, 3 PM.

In both cases, after working hours, the waterway is open to water traffic.

[idea]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back