Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motion Sensor Theory of Operation, Remote Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

palindrome

Electrical
Dec 19, 2002
US
I did a quick search on 'motion sensors' looking for information on what their principal method of operation is. I didn't get any hits so I ask:

I believe they use infrared sensors, not sure what else is available - cheaply and accurately.

My question is what wavelength do the IR sensors respond to (narrow band, wide band) and what power level does the signal need to be, at the detector, for the sensor to detect motion. If the detectors sensor is IR can a matching IR LED be used to remotely activate the sensor, with consideration given to power and atmosphere attenuation? Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most PIR sensors operate in the 8-14 um regime, thereby nullifying any possibility of using any IR LED, unless you plan on dumping lots of power, since the PIR is actually sensing the radiated heat from objects.

In any case, the detector requires motion across its field of regard, since it's the pattern of the time waveform that triggers the alarm.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back