Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motor anti condensation heaters and bearing temperature measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lc85

Electrical
Apr 14, 2011
GB
Our client says that they do not wish anticondensation heaters fastened to the windings they wish for the heat to be transferred to the windings by convection from heaters mounted on the motor frame. I have never seen this before is this standard for some parts of the globe?

Also they wish the bearing motor temp to be measured by type E thermocouples which again seems strange as usually PT100's are used.

The motors are 3ph 400v,50Hz,7.5Kw and 400V,50Hz,110kW .

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is the way my generators were protected. Some had strip heaters bolted to the motor skin, some had flexible pad heaters lying inside the bottom of the generators. The stator and the rotor need heat. Convection works well.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Never seen them attached to to windings. Always on the lower section of the internal of the stator.

Or band heaters wrapped around the frame.

If they don't like the entire concept, you can also consider internal motor winding heaters, which energize one set of windings with controlled low voltage DC on one winding that uses the winding itself as the heater. They are much more effective because the heat distribution is even throughout the frame plus it uses the existing motor leads, so there is no need to run a separate circuit and transformer.

Allen Bradley Bulletin 1410 or Motortronics MWH Series are two I know of. Also, several Soft Starters and most VFDs can do this as well. If you already have a VFD running this motor, it's worth looking into.

"Will work for (the memory of) salami"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back