Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motor bearing current

Status
Not open for further replies.

teke

Electrical
Jun 5, 2010
IT
I am looking for a typical calculation for shaft voltage/ bearing current for VFD fed morors. Can you please tell me about any similar resources or papers - how to do those calculations? I understand that less than 300 mV shaft voltage is safe.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. 0,3 V is definitely safe. But it depends how you measure. Put an old moving iron AC voltmeter on a motor shaft and you will certainly measure very low levels. Measure with an oscilloscope and you will likely see 10 - 15 V peaks - and that is not at all safe.

Oil film breakdown voltage is dependent on grease oil viscosity, speed, temperature, radial and axial forces on bearing and then some.

A practical lower limit for bearing damages is around 3 volts. But that shall be measured with an oscilloscope or special instrumentation that, among other things, measure peak voltages across the bearing.

The reason you need a fast measuring device is that shaft voltage consists of short voltage spikes that no ordinary voltmeter can catch - not even the faster ones that claim 100 kHz bandwidth.

The 300 mV are applicable when you have ordinary 50 or 60 Hz induced shaft voltage and could be measured with any voltmeter. It is no longer so.

Google "bearing currents" EDM PPS and such things.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back