Motor spec for rolling rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

willtech

Automotive
Feb 23, 2011
GB
Hi ENG tips.

I am designing a large rolling rig which is essentially used to house and turn a film set. In essence it is a base frame with a motor connected to a drive wheel which in turn is acting on a large 10 meter diameter ring. It is within this circular ring that a set would be built.

I am in early stages of design and would like to spec a motor early to help with the drawing process. I have simplified the rig onto one plane (see drawing)in the hope someone can feedback with a suitable calc for motor torque and power post gearbox?

Here are a few details regarding the rig-
10 meter diameter ring 720kg.
rubber drive wheel 500mm diameter.
needs to rotate at 10rpm max.
maximun 5000kg internal load of set, performers etc... this should be evenly distributed but with performers and crew running around this could change a little so redundancy might be wise.
Please see attached images, one of existing rig to give you the idea and one very early drawing of the rig i am designing.

Any help greatly appreciated!!! :)

roll_rig_motion_test_ikwsa3.jpg

Existing_roll_rig_m37iwu.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

10 rpm is pretty fast for something that size.

The real question is, how fast do you need it to accelerate to 10 rpm, and how much control do you need.

Hi jgKRI.

Thanks for your response.

Yes you are right, 10 rpm is very quick for something this large and although I wouldn't anticipate it ever going more than 3rpm its nice to have the option...even though it might scare the hell out of everyone!

Sorry, I left that detail out. It should reach 10rpm in no more than 20 seconds.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back