Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motor Start Capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

AboveRedline

Automotive
Mar 13, 2003
US
How close does the farad rating of a Motor Start capacitor need to be to the original one used with the motor. Can you bump up the capacitor to help with heavily loaded motors?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would not exceed 20% of existing uf rating and not to exceed 3 seconds. As you add more cap u increase the heat generated by the start winding. Why don't you increase the uf in 10% increments and keep checking the amp draw. Also pose your question to the the electrical motor section on this web site

We have an Air Conditioning unit with a Benshaw soft starter. Last week when I turned on the breaker (not the start control) the SCR bypass had a huge arc, which melted the bypass contacts. I had the manufacturer rep. come down to do the troubleshooting and repairs. He megged the motor, ohmed the SCRs and gates and replaced the one bypass that arced. Upon turning on the breaker (not the start control), the soft starter blew again. This time burning out the pulse transformers (all six) on the power circuit board (trigger board). Any info., as to what may be the cause of this problem is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back