Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motor Starting Current Calcualtion Double check

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimou888

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2007
TZ
System 11KV 50KA 3Sec; 60MVA 132/11KV transformer; Exsiting 11KV load 7.9MW, Motor 11KV,2950MW,2990rmn, LFA=6.2In, power factor 20%, locked torque =0.47TN, whether and how long the motor could be started?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi zimou888
First of all I guess the motor rated power is 2950 KW instead of 2950 MW.
Secondly there are many other data you need to calculate the motor starting time.
You need:
Load and motor torque curve [see the attached sketch].Also you need the GD^2[or WK^2] of the motor and of the load.
You need also uk% of the transformer, the length and the cross section of the 11kv supply cable in order to calculate the voltage drop.
In order to calculate all this I appreciated the motor dimensions and all other data and
I think that an approximate starting time will be 3 seconds. Also the voltage drop at the transformer terminal and at the motor terminal will be approximate 4-5% at the start.
Best Regards

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1260ab29-19d8-4157-a190-e0528da79980&file=Motor_and_load_Torque.jpg
Thanks you very much.

According to the calcualtion of EDSA, starting time is about 3.47s, voltage drop 6%. The motor is 60kgm2, the load is 6kgm2.

Aanother question regarding the starting time, In my mind, it is related with starting torque, the bigger the quicker. But I met a problem about a small pump, 11kV system,132/11kV transformer 20MVA, SC=20KA,1S for 11kV, 11KV load 5MW, Motor 11KV,585KW,2975rmn, LFA=6In, power factor 15%, locked torque =0.6TN, motor is 16.25kgm2, load is 5kgm2. I found it takes 15s to start based on EDSA result, I was confused the longer starting time although it will not impact on the voltage drop. So the GD2 has the critical parameter during starting, is it right? I also suspect the EDSA result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back