Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motor Theory Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockman7892

Electrical
Apr 7, 2008
US

Can anyone reccomend a good book to pickup on induction motor theory. I'm looking to get an in depth knowledge on induction motor theory and applications.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From faq238-1287,

Principles of Electric Machines and Power Electronics by P. C. Sen
Electrical Machines, Drives, and Power Systems by Theodore Wildi

Both are good electric machines texts although neither are specifically on induction machines as they cover DC and sycnhronous types as well. The former is largely based in the 50Hz world, latter in the 60Hz world but it doesn't really make much difference from the theory perspective.

What level of knowledge are you starting from?

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Fitzgerald, Kingsley, Umans "Electric Machinery" appears to be one of the most used and most cited texts. It was originally published by Fitzgerald and Kingsley in about 1950 and has been updated every few years with co-authors added in later years. (Fitzgerald and Kingsley are both now deceased.) There are usually editions from various years available at avaious prices on eBay.

For theory, I would second Fitzgerald. Things like pitch factor, distribution factor etc. Not so much application in there.

For a good overview of application, operation, and maintenance, I would recommend Managing Motors by Nailen.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

My level of knowledge is somewhere in-between intermediate to novice. I have been working around mostly induction motors for about 2 years so have a general knowlege of how these motors work.

I wanted to gain a more in-depth understanding of the electromagnetic theory that is going on inside a motor to gain a more complete understanding.

When I mention application, I want to be able to understand them more for troubleshooting, interpreting datasheets and setting relays, use on VFD's, and mechanical torque.

Also, you may consider a good reference book called "Electric Machinery and Transformers" by Irving L. Kosow. On Chapter 9 and 10, the author provided an easy to follow, supported by questions and answers, the principles, characteristics, and construction of polyphase and single phase induction motors. The book was published by Prentice Hall in 1991. The ISBN is 0-13-248733-0.

Actually, the Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers (Fink and Beatty) has a good section on induction motors. Many years ago, my college professor actually used the Handbook as one of the books in his electric machinery class.

If you don't have one, it would be a good investment. I also have the Fitzgerald, Kingsley, Umans book.

I have recently gotten the book "Electric Motors and Drives" by Austin Hughes, and found it very helpful.

ISBN 0-7506-4718-3

The additional info on drives and their interaction with motors was also a big help for me.

Hope that helps.

Wow Scotty
P.C.Sen was my professor during school at Queen's University in Canada...small world. It is good to see that his work is appreciated.

Hi 450x,

It's one of the books I usually reach first for when I need a reminder of something I used to know. I've certainly had my money's worth out of it.

He must be be retired by now - he isn't young in the photo in the book, and I've had it sixteen or seventeen years now.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

The Rudolf Richter- six volumes-were translated all around Europe. I have all six volumes translated. Of course, there are more specific books treating ventilation and mechanical design- of shaft and yoke- and so on.
If you may understand German this is the classical European motor design theory.
Richter, Rudolf, 1954. Electrische Maschinen, Band IV, Die Inductionsmachinen. Zweite Auflage.
Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel und Stuttgart, German. 440 p. (In German).
For MAIN DIMENSIONS OF ROTATING MACHINE an extract from this volume see:

I try to find, in the web, new or used book and I didn't find my above indicated book .I think also the above quotation it is from:
Vogt, K., 1996. Berechnung elektrischer Maschinen, following in some way the R.R. theory.
And it is now available in English:
Title: Berechnung Elektrischer Maschinen
Author: GDCh-Advisory Committee on Existing Chemicals of E
Karbe, P.; Vogt, K.
ISBN:3527283919 / 9783527283910 / 3-527-28391-9
Publisher:Wiley & Sons Canada, Limited, John
Language:English
Edition Hardcover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back