Status
Not open for further replies.

tombak71

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2002
AU
Hello all
Question 1
I am currently doing my apprenitceship as Fitter Machinist and recently one of the tasks where I work, was to fit the bearings on the new tail pulley shaft. Shaft size is 50 mm and the bearings that I've used is 22211(SKF). I've mounted the new bearings under supervision of tradesman and everything went fine. Next day the tradesman that was supervising me went on his break and onother tradesman was suposed to check on my work. First thing that he's done was, he removed the bearing housing covers and had a look at it, then he asked me why I haven't used the spacer on one side to fix the bearing?
He's explanation was that always bearing spacers should be used in oredr to have one side fixed and the other floating.
He couldn't give me more information.

Can anyone explain and maybe refer some useful articles or web pages regarding this?

Thanx for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's normal practice on a shaft to have the outer bearing race "1 fixed, 1 free", and the bearing manufacturers have spacers to suit their bearings and housings for this purpose. Were you using taper sleeves to fix the bearing to the shaft?

Suggest you check a bearing manufacturers web site for further information (SKF, FAG etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back