Move/copy body command

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihalj

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2009
US
Hi everyone,
I inserted completely round part inside another part (it is actually SolidWorks Training Manual part from Exercise "Using Indent" Target Body and Tool Body) and now having problem positioning round part using Features -> Move/Copy body command. I imported planes with round part, but when using Mate Settings,I click on front plane of Round part and it is accepted within Entities to Mate, but when I am trying to click on face or plane of rectangular part (against which I want to position Round part) I am getting message "Please select an entity from one of the moving bodies.". That seems at least strange, how come I need both entities to be from moving part??? Does anyone have any idea or had similar problem. I am running SW2010 SP2.1.
Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think there is a different way to do this besides [/i]Move/Copy Bodies[/i]. As I recall, there is a separate menu for positioning inserted parts.

I don't have any problems doing what you're saying. Sounds like you inadvertently selected a plane from the rectangular part instead of the inserted round body.

Well, I tried all options, but it does not work. I am trying to do at home on SW 64-bit version. I am going to try same thing at work on 32-bit version SW. It simply has no sense, because you are supposed to be able to mate parts based on their own planes, faces etc. So in order to position round part against rectangular part I should be able to click on as example front plane of rectangular part and front plane of round part (basically one that is already fixed and other that I am trying to position - same way as Assembly mates working).
Thanks anyway for your reply. I am going to try this as I said tomorrow and I am going to let you know if it works.

When I checked, there is a checkbox for launching move commands when exiting menu. This brings up mates, just like Move/Copy Body. The difference is the resulting Move/Copy feature is embedded in the Insert Part feature.

"Mating" in the move/copy feature is a bit different from mating in assemblies. Move/Copy bodies is just that - it moves the bodies. You can't move/mate a body by picking its imported plane like you mate a part in an assembly by its plane. The move/copy bodies feature "sees" the inserted body's plane as fixed. Move/copy bodies can't move the plane. It can only move the body. I think the plane will follow the body when it moves, but you will have to use actual body geometry to reference on the moving body.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

takedownca,

The caveat to your statement is that you have to make sure that you tell SW to import the planes with the geometry. There are a handful of check boxes at one point in the insert part process for things like axes and planes, and if they aren't checked then that feature doesn't come in.

Joe Hasik,
CSWP/SMTL/MTLS
SW 10 x64, SP 3.0
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

OK, I just tested in 2009 and 2010 (admittedly SP0). If you launch the "move/copy" command during inserting the part, you can position the inserted body using its planes. If you wait and try to position the body with an additional inserted feature you cannot use the planes of the moving body for positioning. Indeed, the inserted planes do not move with the body if you insert the move/copy feature after the initial Insert->Part command. Based on his first post, Mihalj was trying to move the inserted body with a separate feature.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

That is exactly right, handleman. I just tried today on 32-bit SW (I just thought my 64-bit SW had issues) and as you said it is working only if we use move/copy during insert of part (which still does not have sense to me?? Isn't that supposed to be same command?). Anyway, thanks for your help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back