Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a CO2 laser, issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmm1

Industrial
Mar 14, 2011
US
Hello all: We need to move a old but operating 2KW co2 laser, fixed optics, moving table type, while we do have some documentation, its in spanish. Im curious about removing the delivery tube and its optics, can we break it at the 90 and put it on a pallet, should all the optics, 2 - 45s and a 90; be removed, how fragile are they? Does the resonator unit require special packing or a sling cradle on the trailer. OC? Any concerns or tips you would care to share on this issue would be most appreciated. I realize it takes time, effort, and thought to respond on these forums and wish I could offer more than just a thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Zmm1,
Not knowing your exact setup, I can only give you some basic help. I would rec removing any glass discharge tubes. Duct tape over any turning mirrors (the apertures, not the optic itself) in the resonator to keep debris from getting on the optics. I really wouldn't remove the optics as this would more than likely cause the need for an optical alignment upon restart. Some resonators have "shipping brackets" that hold them firmly in place during movement. Drain all coolant lines to avoid freezing. Not required here in Phoenix AZ. :) HS&E may require removal of any vacuum pump oil or oil from the HV power supllies. You may need brackets for the blower unit as well.

It would be prudent to contact the mfr for this machines specific requirements, after all, these things are $$$ to fix.

Hope this helps,

Scott

I really am a good egg, I'm just a little scrambled!

To add to Scott's suggestion... I would place a piece of optic tissue between the aperture and the tape. You just never know what kind of crap may decide to fall off of that tape and fall onto the optic.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Oh my bad! I cannot believe I left that out! Must be that whole scrambled thing I mention in my signature.

Dan, I was wondering, in another thread you mentioned wanting to build a 100W DPSS fiber laser. May I inquire why? ( Perhaps I should just visit your website and that will answer my question )

Scott

I really am a good egg, I'm just a little scrambled!

I would like to mark metal directly (along with some shallow engraving). At the moment, I have to use a marking compound with my CO2 or turn on the CNC machine (both are obviously different types of marks), I could mark high-carbon stuff with my CO2 if I really wanted to, but the speed would not make it economical. A friend sent me a link to a 50W Asian galvo system, which has promise as far as price is concerned... but I'd ideally like closer to 100W, and I've yet to be impressed with the drivers that come with Asian systems. It's always some dongle-locked hack that's riddled with bugs.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back