Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Assemblies 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawpRelim

Industrial
Jul 10, 2008
US
Hello All.

Can someone show me an example of an assembly where, say a lever being pulled affects another part of the assembly, if this is possible? I want to build a machine, but I want it to work like it would in real life. Like gears I guess, when one metal part moves, it will affect another part of it. I want the assembly to be workable like a machine would work. I can figure it out if someone leads me in the right direction. Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

LR,

'Mates' That's your key. The more you 'mate' something down the more 'fixed' it becomes. You want a (-) after one of your parts - that means it can move freely in at least one direction. But follow help files.

Another Thing to look at would be mechanisms You can group entities into Blocks and Add Sketcher Constraints such as traction to simulate gears and other things. If you use the layout option in assembly you can actually build your parts from your layout sketches and Move the Parts themselves or modify the layout sketch to get or test the movements out. A picture will be worth 500-1010 words.

You can do assembly motion in an annimation that follows physical dynamics.

I'm not at my own PC but can upload or link to an annimation I made of a Swiss Block Building Toy Cuboro and modeled and simulated a green ball droping through an assembly of Transparent blocks.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ Shweep
= ProE = SolidWorks

but I want it to work like it would in real life

Sometimes moving models seem to work very nicely in solidworks, but once you build the device on the shop floor, real world physics has a hard time simulating solidworks' physics.. or is it the other way around?

Make sure before you make the leap from virtual to real-world, you account for all of the "assumptions" that may not necessarily hold true in the real world (i.e. fits between parts, friction, backlash between moving elements).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back