Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Moving Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertHale

Structural
Jan 4, 2007
US
I am about to transition to a new computer and I do not want to lose my CUI settings (to include customizations made to tabs and panels on the ribbon). About 6 months ago when I changed jobs I saved a new .cuix file and though it would be simple to just load it up and be back up in no time. It turned into a disaster. I basically used the transfer tab to copy individual panel elements between my .cuix file and the main file. I figure there has to be a better way than that so I am hoping someone can help me out with some step by step instructions. I am running AutoCAD 2013. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the input everyone. Brandon, that was what I tried the last time and it was the disaster. I could just grab the the tabs and the panels as a whole and get them to transfer. I had to go into each panel and move commands. I did end up finding a migrate settings button in the AutoCAD folder of the start menu. As soon as I get the new (to me) computer up, I plan on trying that.

Please, please let us know the outcome.

This is a problem that every AutoCAD user will encounter at some point.

I have always had to start from scratch when moving to a new computer. Which is not always a bad thing as you are forced to learn more about AutoCAD, but it always happens when you can least afford the time expended.

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

The key here is how one does sets up CUI customization in the first place. After much research, I found it best to NEVER alter the standard AutoCAD elements.

I create new elements or alternatives to AutoCAD elements in a NEW custom CUI loaded as a "Partial CUI". Restoring this after a program update or changing machines is accomplished simply with the LOADCUI command and restoring a workspace (that is also previously saved in the custom CUI).

Updates can potentially overwrite the standard CUI elements but will not affect my custom CUI.

Okay,
I tried using the migrate custom settings "folder" in the start menu under AutoCAD 2014. It has worked great for 2014. I also tried the migrate from a previous release application in AutoCAD 2015. It went pretty smoothly (for some reason a couple of the buttons in a modified ribbon tab changed the size/text configuration). I was able to export my settings to a single zip file (3.5 MB), place it on the network and just pull from the file; no muss no fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back