Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving drawing screen during "cloud" command

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadDraftee

Mechanical
Sep 16, 2003
AU
Does anyone know of a way that while you are drawing a rev cloud that you can move your screen to continue the cloud??
I find this so frustrating as it is very hard to be particular when you are zoomed so far out - I much rather be working in closer without having to stop and start different clouds all the time and join them together. Working in closer also give you so much more control over the curser.

Using ACAD2000.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be able to push and hold the scroll button on your mouse, and move the mouse, then release the scroll button and keep drawing the cloud.

During your move, the only mouse button down is the scroll wheel. It works for me but I'm using R2004. Anyone out there using R2000 and can help??? Could it be the version of RevCloud?

Most versions of revcloud I've used work directly off of mouse movement as input to coordinate points of the lisp routine. This is fine; it greatly simplifies the process, and the routines are fine for their purpose. However, simple mouse movement to pick up other commands or drag the screen is misinterpreted by the routine as input, and results in cloud input you don't want.

The only thing I've found to get what you're asking for is to use the pline command, arc option, specify the direction of the next arc in such a way that its a good next arc in the cloud, and keep going 'til you've drawn your cloud. The advantage here is that you DON"T need a LISP routine, and you can use any zoom option you like anywhere in the midst of the command, with predictable, consistent results.

For details on how to do this (after trying it out for yourself first) re-post here, and I'll throw in the options-steps for a quick how-to.

BTW- I have my scroll wheel set to pop-0, so I don't use it for quick pans and zooms either.

Good Luck-
C.Fee

Try holding down the CTRL key and then holding your middle mouse button. It does somewhat of a pan, and will acheive the desired results, sort of. It is awkward, and confusing as far as which direction you need to go (the screen moves and the cursor stays put, so you need to move your mouse in the opposite direction) but I think you can get it to work.

IFRS: When panning like you mentioned, it works until you let go of the pan button. Then the cloud jumps back to where your mouse is.

I am also using 2004

Chris

CDH - that's the idea. You pan and then you are right where you left off. What's the problem with that? Are you panning so far that the cloud goes off the screen?

When you pan over, then let go of the pan button, the routine creates a large arc all the way back to where you started panning from. When you pan, the cursor stays in place along the cloud, yet as you pan, the cloud continues to draw. When you stop panning, the cloud jumps back to where your cursor is.
For example:
I start a cloud at point A and draw it to point B. At point B I am at the edge of the sreen, so I start to pan. My cursor stays at point B as I pan over, and my cloud continues to draw to point C. When I let go of my pan button, the cloud goes back to my cursor, which is still at point B, creating a large arc between the two points.

Maybe I am not doing it the same, but it has always done that for me. I have learned to work around it by zooming out to make my cloud when it cover larger areas.

Use the transparent pan command. ie, while in the revcloud command type 'p the cursor changes to the panning hand and pan as normal, when you are happy with your new position press enter to complete the pan command and the revcloud command resumes, where you left it, continue to draw your cloud.

Hope this helps
Neil

Thanks Neilma, that explains one reason why mine acts differently than the way IFRS explained. I'm not using the "Revcloud" command. I'm using a cloud tool out of the design center from ADT. The command for it is "_AecAnnoRevisionCloudAdd" It works a bit differently!

Both IFRS and Neilma, your solutions work perfectly when using the Revcloud command.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back