Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving fireplace down flight of stairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnbailey

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2003
US
I have decided to move a 450lb fireplace down 12 basement steps. I'm looking to design and build a simple winch and pulley to control it's descent. I have a boat trailer winch and some pulleys which will connect to a 4 wheel piano moving dolly. What I need to know is the weight the object the fireplace will develope as it changes from a horizontal plane to a 45 degree slope. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Horizontal, you are pulling the coefficient of friction times 450 lbs, or about 150 lbs. At 45 degrees, to be safe, I would make sure you can handle the full 450 lbs.

What you are asking for is the component of the weight in a direction 45 degrees to the horizontal, which is :

weight * sin 45 degrees = 450 * .707 = 318 lbf

Some years ago, I installed a Bridgeport milling machine in my basement, with the help of a local removal guy. The machine had to be completely disassembled, and the heaviest component was the column, which weighed about 700 lbs. This is a comparable exercise to what you are attempting. But one thing the removal guy insisted on was that the stairs had to be shored up with columns from below - this was based on bitter experience. Many stairs are very weakly nailed in position, so unless you are sure about that aspect, I would shore up the stairs first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back