Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Moving from US to EU - Bridge Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

BridgeEngineer21

Structural
Oct 26, 2021
DK
My wife and I are looking into the possibility of moving to Europe, specifically Amsterdam, within the next year. I have 6 years experience doing consulting work for bridge design in a few major East Coast cities. My experience is a mix of design, construction support, inspection and management. I haven't had much experience with complex bridge designs (i.e things besides simple span steel girders/concrete deck) though its a direction I'm interested in heading in. I just sat for my PE, and wouldn't plan to move until I'm licensed. I also recently got my masters in structural engineering. Ideally I want to stay within the bridge or at least infrastructure field.

I have a number of questions I want to look into before moving forward with this, so I figured I'd put them all here and if anyone has any thoughts on even one of these it would be very helpful. I'm new to the forums so if there is a better place - or even a better website - to post this please let me know.

1. Has anyone moved from US to EU, doing any type of engineering? What was the transition like? In terms of workplace culture, project setup, design codes and processes used, work-life balance, etc. Obviously any experience specifically with bridge design and/or the Netherlands would be best but I'm trying to cast a wide net here.

2. With my experience what pay range could I expect? My general sense is to expect less than I'm making now (~80k USD) but with a lower cost of living on many fronts. I did a back of the envelope calculation a while ago that the amount I pay for taxes + healthcare currently would add up to about the same over there (with more on taxes and less on healthcare), but I gotta look into that a little closer as well.

3. This one is a bit more specific to the country/field - where are the bridge design jobs usually found? In-house at public agencies, multinational companies, local companies, specialty firms, etc? Do I have any chance just cold applying from across the world or do I need a recruiter, an in with an American company with a presence over there, etc? I also need to know more about how work visas will work in general but I can save that question for a non-engineering forum.

4. Another specific one - how difficult will the transition be from working with AASHTO to Eurocode?

5. Any thoughts on the way the industry is heading over there? What I'm getting at is over here it seems the direction is design-build, smaller budgets and tighter schedules, lots of engineers getting burnt out and producing sloppier work in general because we're always in a crunch. It would be a huge plus if I could get away from this trend.

6. Here's a general question for anyone working abroad anywhere - how difficult will it be to maintain my PE license? Assuming I'm working at a local company which won't necessarily pay for me to attend online or in-person seminars that give American PDH credits, how much should I expect to pay per year to maintain it? Would I be able to get by with a mix of online and local in-person courses or would I have to travel back to the US for in-person ones? And outside of PDHs, is there anything else I'd need to do to maintain it while abroad?

7. If I were to move back to the US say 2, 5, 10 years down the line, would my experience there be an advantage or disadvantage in terms of positions and salary available to me? I know this one depends on too many variables to really give an answer but any thoughts or personal experience would be interesting.

8. Any other thoughts, advice, relevant info, etc

Apologies for the huge post but I really appreciate any input anyone might have.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cant really see the upside here. unless there are some personal circumstances at play here. At the macro level , do you think there will be much bigger bridge construction budgets in europe than the usa?? Do you think the quality of life is superior in europe rather than USA?? Life in Amsterdam will be much more negatively affected by rising ocean levels / global warming than most places in the USA unless very low lying coastal areas. Is there reason to believe that your skills will be in much greater demand over there?? With less than 10 years experience , I cant see it

All the best. You can still stay connected to E-T.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

The reasons for moving are personal and not really what I want to discuss here. But the first and last questions you pose are great questions and exactly the types of things I'd like some insight on from anyone with experience with this.

I'm curious what you mean with the remark about 10 years experience? Do you mean it would be hard to find a job internationally with less than 10 years experience?

I guess I should clarify in case my title/post is a little misleading. My reasons for moving are personal/family and not driven by professional/career considerations. But professional/career considerations such as the ones above will effect my ultimate decision. So what I am looking for here is some answers to my career-based questions, to use as inputs for my larger decision.

I think a more general question is how easy will it even be to find a job? Low salaries might also be indicative of an oversupply of engineers.

A corollary question might be whether you can keep working for a US company, although the tax equation might be awful.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Amsterdam/ Holland will be a nice place for you to work. There is a lot of off-shore activity (oil&gas and wind turbine) in Holland and i think that you might be interested looking in that direction. Both operators and engineering companies. Dutch people are very internationally minded and in the workplace you will have no problems speaking only english. However, on the social front learning deutch might be an advantages as it would be to learn Danish in Denmark.

Im not Dutch myself (Danish). Generally i think you will find that cost of living is high in Holland (and most likely Amsterdam will be the most expensive part) but i would expect salaries to match this.

Best regards, Morten

--- Best regards, Morten Andersen

Most of the answers you are looking for will vary depending on your employer and your/wife's citizenship. Working for an American company/govt I would expect your income to increase slightly vs your current rate stateside. In westernized areas like Europe Americans generally won't command the premium and benefits of working in areas with cultures drastically different than ours (ie doing a "hardship tour" in Asia), but they'll still get a small token bump for going overseas. Working for a foreign company abroad I would expect to receive the local foreign rate, which may be higher or lower than your current rate, depending on where you live stateside. Costs will vary depending on your citizenship and lifestyle. Cost of living will increase unless your lifestyle changes significantly. Healthcare may decrease if you currently have an expensive plan and can partake only in the govt scheme, but good luck if you have to purchase an international policy on your own or add secondary policies. Taxes will be significantly higher, I would recommend hiring an accountant and not reviewing the details unless your heart is healthy. All of this is assuming you can obtain a work visa of course, which can be challenging.

As to how industry is heading in Europe, I cannot speak to the CE/SE space but product engineering and manufacturing has been in a race to leave the past decade. Most of it is heading east but some is coming stateside.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

MortenA - While I really would like to stick with bridges/infrastructure, I suppose I'm not closed off to structural work in the energy sphere either. Do you happen to know any good career websites or recruiting agencies that would be a good place to start looking for jobs? I've already compiled a list of companies to look into but would like to start somewhere more general before cold contacting companies. Agreed about learning Dutch, it would definitely be a priority before/once we move. Just curious about in comparison with your country - in Copenhagen for example, would communication in most engineering offices be fully in Danish or English as well?

CWB1 - Thanks for all the info. Do you have any personal experience with working internationally and obtaining work visas?

You probably have to be open to more than just bridges. Your US licenses, and some experience, may not translate well. I know nothing about bridges... but I assume there are typical methods in the US, and Europe has different preferred types (no large canyons, for example). Also the typical bidding scheme likely is different. Even within the US it is different depending on where you are. So at minimum you will start like someone with less experience.
In addition it depends what type of visa/work permit you have.

Netherlands is a great place to experience - much different than the US. I encourage to do it even if you get a much lower paid job. Your money can get stolen... no one can take the experience from you.

@Bridge, in DK (and my guess is in Holland as well) you would be 100% OK with English professionally. Most dutch people and all professionals speak english. But on the social side, e.g. small talk at lunch, we tend to slip into Danish.

Wrt Dutch companies im uncertain i never worked in Holland myself.

Best regards, Morten

--- Best regards, Morten Andersen

I have a friend who moved to the netherlands out of school with a masters in mech - eventually found work with some software company. QoL seems much better, salaries lower, seems people have covered that already. Your best bet is probably to take whatever you can get in your field once there and start learning, even if it isn't bridges. Eurocode is unfortunately a lot like cutting a load of bread with a scalpel - a big change when compared to some of the more pragmatic US codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back