Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving NX licenses from XP to Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

SriSchreder

Industrial
Feb 25, 2021
AU
Hi We (Company) have Nx floating And Node locked licenses. And are all on Xp servers.
We are not in AMC.
Running Nx7.5
Now the Company has decided not to put any Machine with XP on the Network. Which makes hard to use NX.
Can you please let me know a way to move NX licenses from XP to Windows 10, without having to pay for AMC.

We are legal users and buyers of the Licenses, just that we dont want to go under AMC.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is AMC ?

I guess that the XP computer is pretty old, else you could have upgraded that to Win10 and probably kept running without notice.
( the License server software, FlexLM probably runs on both but it is hard to know.)
In case you are getting a new license server computer, you need to get a new license file because the new computer will have a different "Composite Host Id". "CID"
In older days the licenses were locked to the network card ID ( Not the same as the IP address) but then it became known that the network card ID could be changed, so instead Siemens uses the Compo...
the Comp... is a mixture of different internal ID's from the server computer which makes this ID unique.
( = that license will not work on any other computer.)

There is a small program in the licenseinstall directory called "getcid.exe" run that and it will return the CID of that computer. You wil need to give that to Siemens to get a new licensefile.

Regards,
Tomas

Never try discuss with a fanatic, it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.:)

AMC = Active Maintenance... Contract?

In addition to Toost's comments:

I don't think you will need to get a new contract to update the license files, but there will probably be a small fee.

If you are completely replacing the client machines (as opposed to doing an OS upgrade), you will need to supply the mac addresses of the machines that will be using the node locked licenses. Also, if memory serves, NX 7.5 isn't certified to run on Windows 10. It will probably run just fine, but maybe not. I'd suggest using the 64 bit version.

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back