Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Slot - Ansys Workbench - Transient Structural 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricaD

Structural
May 23, 2013
GB
I am carrying out a Transient Structural Analysis of a mechanism with approx. 20 joints. All but one of these is a revolute joint. The remaining joint is a slot. In practice the connector in this joint does not slide along the slot until the mechanism is opened out fully. In my model the movement has an oscillation caused I believe by the peg moving loosely in the slot (if I set the joint as a revolute the oscillation disappears, but then of course the mechanism won't stretch out far enough).

I have 2 questions:
a) is there any way of making the slot 'rough' so that it only moves as the loads increase?
b) I am defining the translation DOF of the slot by the slot edge, but since this slot is part of a component that is also moving will the Reference Coordinate System allow for this movement or will the direction of the DOF be set to its initial position?

Any thoughts would be welcome

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Regarding your first question, you could add a spring in the slot direction, set the stiffness to a low value, and give it non-zero damping. That might help. Regarding the second, I have no clue. Try making a very simple model (two components) that has the same situation and see what happens. You might want to take a look at the "applied by" line in the detail view. Maybe that will control the effect that you need. Also, I am finding more and more that Youtube is way more useful sometimes than the Workbench documentation, which I think sucks profusely.

Rick Fischer
Principal Engineer
Argonne National Laboratory

Doesn't the slot joint include option for stiffness? If not, you could replace it with general joint and
input stiffness coefficients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back