Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving sub-asemblies 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

peternoon

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2011
BO
Hello,

I am relatively new to Solidworks.

I have created an assembly with a number of sub-assemblies. I am trying to move whole sub-assemblies to see them in different configurations, ideally saving the configurations, but is too difficult to do it. Sometimes they will not move, sometimes only some parts of the sub-assembly move, sometimes the sub-assembly drags another sub-assembly with it.

I do not have mates among sub-assemblies. I have made the sub-assemblies flexible. I have allowed the parts to float.

Is this not the way it is done in Solidworks, do I have to move the parts within the sub-assembly, not the latter or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you making different configurations within the assy using the various subassy's?
What exactly do you mean "move"?
If you want to use the subassy's, you suppress or unsuppress the parts and assy's for each config that you want to use or not use.

Chris, CSWP
SolidWorks '16
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

Hello ctpooher,

I mean move the whole soub-assembly like this:

Supposing you have made a sub-assembly with all the parts (components) of the trunk of a car. The rest of the car is in the main assembly. You want to see how the trunk opens so you want to rotate/move the whole trunk sub-assembly, then you create a configuration of it open so that you have two: open and closed.

Thanks

"Supposing you have made a sub-assembly with all the parts (components) of the trunk of a car. The rest of the car is in the main assembly. You want to see how the trunk opens so you want to rotate/move the whole trunk sub-assembly, then you create a configuration of it open so that you have two: open and closed."

In that case you create the OPEN and CLOSED configurations within the trunk subassembly, not the main car assembly. After the trunk sub-assembly is inserted into the main car assembly you select which trunk configuration you want to see by clicking on the PROPERTIES TOOL of the trunk sub-assembly. The PROPERTIES dialog box includes the option to select which configuration of the trunk sub-assembly you wish to see. It also gives you the option of tying that particular display of the trunk sub-assembly to a particular configuration of the main car assembly. That way you can create a TRUNK OPEN configuration of the main car assembly which in turn specifies the OPEN configuration of the trunk sub-assembly.

Thanks, I see, so it looks like I have to modify the sub-assembly, to move it, in its own file then save it as a configuration, then insert one version of the sub-assembly for each position I want to illustrate in the main assembly.

It also looks like I cannot see the movement of the whole sub-assembly, for instance by tying to a pivot, in the main assembly, and then rotating the sub-assembly with the cursor.

There are a number of features in Solidworks which are not as good as my previous Siemens software but I guess you cannot have it all.

If you want your sub-assemblies to move within your Main assembly you have to make your Subs Flexible. You can do that by RMB (Right mouse Button) the sub and go to the properties to set from "Rigid" to "Flexible". I don't recommend leaving them like this, but its a good way if you set your mates up properly to see how they react within your Main.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back