Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS V8 level display window will not retain layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

engregenold

Civil/Environmental
Aug 5, 2010
US
Every time I open the level display window I have to reset the way my levels are sorted. It use to be that once I set the display order, column size, and etc. MS would remember these settings. Now every time that I open the level display window MS resets the display to sorting by level "number" and I want it to sort by the "used" column. How do I change this to remember my settings?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

engregenold, this type of setting is stored in the User Preference File or UPF. My guess is that you do not have read-write access to this file or you are sharing the file with another user and clobbering each others changes. BTW if you are sharing a UPF it is not recommended at all.

By default the UPF file for V8i SS1 release is stored here.

C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Bentley\MicroStation\8.11\<Ridiculous Folder Name>\prefs

Depending on your version it might be located in a different location. Let me know what version you are running and I can let you know where to find it. Also your CAD System Administrator may have moved it to a network drive.

You could go to the MicroStation pull down menu and select Workspace > About Workspace and see the current UPF file used.

HTH,
Bob Mecham

Training | Consulting | Programming
Facebook: Twitter:

I am using version V8 2004 (08.05.02.35). Could there be any issue with the fact that I have both V8 2004 and V8i installed on my machine?

engregenold, no there shouldn't be any problems with having both those versions loaded on your machine, as long as they were loaded in their default installation directories. I have V8 2004, XM, V8i, and V8i SS1 all loaded and running in harmony on my computer.

Your default location for V8 2004 edition UPF is located here C:\Program Files\Bentley\Home\prefs

Do you have a custom workspace at your office?
Did you copy your V8 2004 UPF file and make it for V8i?
Are you sharing a UPF between V8 2004 Edition and V8i?

If you are not in a custom workspace and running on the local drive my guess is that you are locked out of the new folder location Document and Settings. Check with IT and see what they say.

HTH,
Bob Mecham

Training | Consulting | Programming
Facebook: Twitter:

I got it to work. I think that my UPF file had become corrupt. So I just deleted the file and reset all of my setting and it now works.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back