MS vs. MEng

Status
Not open for further replies.

NS4U

Structural
Apr 2, 2007
US
This is a question for employers...

Is a graduate with a Master of Science degree looked at differently than one with a Master of Engineering?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As it would probably be looked at differently to an MPhil.

At my University an MEng was a taught masters course in Engineering.

An MSc was in science, sometimes what subject falls in applied science and which is Engineering can get blurred but generally there is a distinction.

MPhil was a masters from a research project, essentially a 'mini' PHD if I recall correctly. If you started on an MPhil and it went well you could sometimes expand it into a PHD, likewise if you started on PHD but were struggling you could change to MPhil. In fact I think that if you were doing a PHD you could get given an MPhil halfway through for very little extra effort.

Different degrees may be more attractive. For instance if it's a research type position I'd expect MPhil or MSc may be more attractive. If it's a more typical Engineering position then MEng would probably be more attractive.

However that’s just my opinion.

I am assuming you are talking about an MS in an engineering discipline vs a MEng.

If so I am not sure I understand the difference, and as a result, I would probably treat them the same.

Does one require a thesis and the other purely coursework? If so, that would not matter much to me.

Now if it was a MS in say physics, vs and MEng, I suppose I would look at those differently.

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

mikehughes819 (Structural) What country are you in, this will make a difference. I assumed UK but could have been completely incorrect. A bit more explanation might make it clearer.

My experience (USA):
MS = Master's work with thesis & defense
MEng = Master's work without thesis, but final project with defense. My ME was a lot broader education than my colleagues getting their MS, even though we did essentially the same work. I survived grad school thinking MS candidates were being trained to be applied mathematicians, I was getting advanced practical training in a broad assortment of engineering subjects.

Out in the workforce (cynical view): most managers and HR folks don't have any idea what is involved in getting, much less have any idea of the value of obtaining, an engineering degree of any sort. To the non-schooled majority of hiring decision makers, MS = ME = BS(4yr) = BS(2yr) = AS(2yr) = Talented Floor Sweeper. The degree is important when you are getting a job. After you've got it, you are at the mercy of the unschooled.

After gathering all the ideas and opinions here, get what suits you.

TygerDawg

I got a MS in ME which required a thesis (although the thesis was nothing compared to a PhD level thesis).

At the same time, I knew a few who got an "Engineer's Degree", which was half a step above a MS.

Hence, the degree names I'm familier with are:

BS or BA in a subject area
MS or MA in a subject area
Engineer's Degree
PhD

This was/is in the USA.......

Certainly in the UK an MSc would not be considered to have the same level of engineering content as an MEng. In many companies they would look for an MEng for its detailed engineering content rather than an MSc which may be more rounded but a bit less engineering.

When I was in school I had the choice of Masters of Engineering which was course work only and Masters of Science in Engineering which was some course work and a thesis.

I picked the Masters of Engineering. If you're planning to work at a typical company I don't think it will really matter which one you pick. Most people will just be impressed that you have a Masters degree.

I don't think that outside of an academic setting there is a very good understanding of the difference between the two. I also think there is some confusion even within academic settings since different terminology is used from area to area and shcool to school.

Can't speak for other places but a MASc/MSc here (Canada) is considered more "prestigous" than a MEng. In a lot of cases, universities don't even allow MEng's to go on to do a PhD. (unless marks are top notch).

Having said all that, I've yet to meet anyone in HR who knows the difference between the two, and cares. I see jobs that simply say "master's would be a benefit". Never seen one that said "MASc only, not MEng".

And at the end of the day, it will always be your experience and personality that'll determine how far you get, not the letters after your name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back