MSC Adams: How to Define Alignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armin671

Student
Feb 1, 2024
DE
Hi everyone,

I'm currently facing an issue with changing the orientation of a body in ADAMs. Specifically, I'm trying to make these bars horizontal without relying on mathematical relations, especially in more complex situations where that approach becomes impractical for me.

My goal is to place these bars along the x-axis (global) or at a 30-degree angle from it.

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Unbenannt_dokvfq.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ok, not an ADAMS user but ...

an obvious (to me) solution would be to have 2 co-ordinate systems, one aligned to the rod, the other at 30 degrees.

I really don't understand what you mean with "trying to make these bars horizontal without relying on mathematical relations" ... "horizontal" is a mathematical definition ?

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Hi , and Thank you for your Response.

Didn't catch what do you mean by "creating co-ordinates", but I can create Markers (Little Arrows in Picture below), but how to use them to rotate the bar, I don't know :(

pic1_adyebv.png

by mathematical relations, I meant , for example, I don't wanna calculate the point, which bar would relay an, when it has a 30 degree relative to ground. (horizontally position needs certainly not any calculations )

I'm more confused by defining this angle and change it :

pic2_unrjg5.png

Sorry, but have you read the manual, done some tutorial problems ?

ADAMS is a s/ware that analyzes the motion of mechanic components (AFAIR). The components need to be located in space ... using co-ordinates. In FEA (I'm more familiar) we call these points GRIDs or NODEs ... ADAMS may well call them MARKERs (sounds odd to me).

Now you may be saying "I don't want to calculate the precise co-ordinates to position this rod at 30 degs (assuming you're using XYZ co-ordinates)"
Ok, there are other ways to describe the 3D space you're working in, other co-ordinate systems (other than cartesian) ... maybe spherical co-ordinates works in this case ?

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

@rb1957 MARKERS are local reference frames at a specific point, thus they have 6 attributes. The 3 translational ones being the same as a node, and functionally used in the same way.

@OP Have you done the Getting Started exercise, I think it is called Latch? If not, do so, rather than messing about. If you have, do it again.

I no longer have access to ADAMS, I'm afraid that is all I can suggest.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back