Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSC Nastran vs MSC Marc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAParker

Materials
Oct 24, 2005
ZA
What is the difference between MSC Marc and MSC Nastran? MSC Marc seems to have more capabilities (with non linear situations) but MSC Nastran is more expensive.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've used both codes for various applications. MARC is a true non-linear code able to model material, geometry and contact effects. NASTRAN is gaining some of the MARC functionalities but is nowhere near the same capabilities. Check out mscsoftware.com for more details. As for the cost, they are both very expensive but I think MARC is worth every penny !

I'm just starting to scratch the surface using Marc and I agree that it seems extremely capable. We mfg elastomer products and other it is certainly the best (maybe Abaqus can compete) for elastomer analysis. The user interface with Mentat initially scared me off as it looks quite dated but it is quite nice once you get familiar with it.

The reason MSC bought MARC was because NASTRAN nonlinear was not very good in contact. MSC now sells a nonlinear package(NASTRAN nonlinear that adequately takes care of large deflections and material nonlinear). If the user needs contact or a larger library of materials, he will have to pay quite a bit more to have their more advanced non linear package (MARC). This option has the user able to use NASTRAN for the linear and MARC for the nonlinear.

Since MSC now owns MARC, you don't need to use Mentat; PATRAN or Nastran for Windows (FEMAP) may be used.

Badlam

You say :-

"Since MSC now owns MARC, you don't need to use Mentat; PATRAN or Nastran for Windows (FEMAP) may be used."

This sadly isn't yet completely true; there are still aspects of the MARC input deck that only MENTAT can deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back