Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

MSE soil parameters for global stability analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosy

Geotechnical
Apr 18, 2002
US
What value of c and phi are appropriate for the material (compacted sand) in an MSE wall? Obviously the sand must have a phi of about 36 degrees. However, when running a global stability analysis, there must be some theoretical c, otherwise the wall cannot stand vertically. I seem to remember giving it a c of 800 psf. Another way I have seen it done is to put an extremely rigid layer at the base of the wall so that a failure circle does not pass through it. I use XSTABL for my analyses.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is how I analyze walls. I make the wall mass ridged with a high fiction and cohesion to force the failure circles outside the wall. I do a seporate analysis to make sure the wall mass is stable

Dear guys,

I don't think you can get a material call sand with such a high cohesion. The c in sand depeds on the confining pressure of the test( CIU or CID). c normally don't used in MSE with sand as fill, even you compact it. Soils don't normally behave as you wish

Cheer.

I agree with Austgino in that the sand does not have a cohesion value. MSE walls are able to stand vertically due to the stress transfer in the system, not because of the cohesion in the material. However, I do agree with the design approach taken by bosy and basford for checking global stability. When using xstabl, I assume that the internal stability of the reinforced fill has already been checked and that only external stability is a concern. In that case, giving the reinforced fill section high strength values to force the failure outside of the reinforced block is also the way I would approach the analysis.

I also have a question regarding drainage of MSE walls. What is the typical behind wall drainage specifications in your areas? Do you just require a free-draining gravel/drainage system directly behind the wall facing or do you require it at the back of the reinforced fill section/face of cut as well?

Your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

When analyzing for global stability you just want to make sure that the wall is very rigid and stable. Just use very high values of the c and phi. You do not want any failure surface to cross the MSE wall anyway.

Dimitris P. Zeccos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back