Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Muffler/silencer for high pressure gas exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

patdh1028

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2012
US
Howdy,

I am working on a gas system that operates at about 500 psig with N2. We have a relief valve, a bleed valve and an electronic regulator with exhaust outlets that tie in to an exhaust line.

On the end of the exhaust line I want to put a silencer or muffler, but the pressure is too high for any standard-service silencer I know of or have seen in my research and it is not nearly important enough to warrant the heavy industrial exhaust mufflers used in big plants. SO I threw together a design and I figure I'll post it up here to get some input.

It is a series of concentric tubes. I figure the high pressure gas will have room to expand and lose velocity and pressure as it flows through larger spaces, and I have some hard foam inserts in there (the dark khaki stuff) to take some energy out of the pressure wave. Probably not very good for continuous-operation processes, but for the intermittent pressure-relief I think it would do a lot to make dumping some pressure less aurally unpleasant. And it looks like it will cost about $75.

Am I way off or what?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't see this design as being very effective. It looks more appropriate as a engine exhaust muffler rather than a high pressure relief valve silencer. Of course you can make it and try it out to see if it works adequately. Most commercial silencers for your application have a gas diffuser section and a sound absorber section. In some applications a diffuser alone can be used with a discharge pipe oriented away from the receptor location.

Walt

Unfortunately I don't have to put my design to the test; I found a silencer in the size and pressure-handling range I was looking for. Thanks for your input, if ever it does come down to trying out my design I would probably tweak it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back