Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-Body Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

barryodonnell

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2002
GB
Hi,

I am an FEA analyst using Ansys. I regulary export Solidworks assemblies/parts in parasolid format for import to the FEA code. However, at present parasolid does not deem to support multi-body parts.
Is this the case? If so, will it be supported in a future release. I do not have access to a direct solidworks interface for ansys which would solve this problem, only have a parasolid interface at present.

Regards

Barry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I export multibody parasolids all the time and import into MSC NASTRAN. No problem.

Perhaps its an issue with the way ANSYS reads the parasolid.

Thanks Tick

When you bring the multi-body parts into Nastran, can you mesh each sub-part separately and still force a congruent mesh across the interface, apply separate material proos to each part etc..
If so, it seems to be a lack of functionality in the ansys workbench parasolid interface. This treats separate sub-parts as individual parts in an assembly and sets up bonded contact at the interfaces (not very nice in some cases). A separate toll can be used to create multi-bosy parts, but ansys charge a fairl deal for this mini-CAD package.

Regards

Barry

Parasolid definitely handles multibodies and SW will both import and export them in Parasolid.

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back