Multi-chamber vessel nameplate - code and 'non-code' info

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitch

Mechanical
Oct 11, 2018
CA
Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some feedback on nameplate design as it applies to multi-chamber vessels, when one of the vessels is non-Code (ie. under 15 psi).

We have an ASME CoA for U/U2 work, and one of our registered designs (hey, we're in Canada) is for a 50 psi jacket that we use in steam fired vessel applications. Usually, the 50 psi jackets are applied to a vessel that itself is only rated for atmospheric conditions (ie. contains a vent, manway does not retain pressure, etc).

So in terms of the nameplate, UG-116(j)(2) of the 2019 BPV Code states that process information for chambers of multi-chamber vessels not covered under the scope of the Division can be grouped with the information for chambers that ARE covered under the scope of the Division, but "provided they are not included in the markings covered by the Certification Mark."

My question is, how clear must the separation be between the information "covered by the Certification Mark", and the information that isn't covered by the Mark? Can I put all the information on the same nameplate as long as the layout of the information on the nameplate shows a distinct delineation between the two? Or are we talking a physical separation like two physically separate nameplates that are installed next to one another? Has anyone ever had this discussion with ASME or their AI, or knows of a code case where this is explored further? (I couldn't find one.)

TIA,
Sean

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You Can put all the information on the same nameplate as long as the layout of the nameplate shows a distinct delineation between the area with the ASME certification mark for the chamber in the Scope of ASME Section and the area for the chamber not in the scope of ASME code section.

Regards - Juergen

By all means, have the discussion with your AI, lots more relevant than with interested strangers :)

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Have you talked with an ASME Code fabricator ? Find one with experience with the exact type of vessel that you are interested in ..

They probably have done this before and would be happy to give you examples.

A large standoff bracket with multiple code "nameplates" are a typical design.

The bracket typically also includes an area for possible future National Board "repair" nameplates

Also, be aware that nameplate support brackets typically conform to PIP VEFV1101, a compilation of vessel standard details

Please tell us about what your final nameplate solution is and complete this thread...

Best Regards and good luck ...

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Thanks All.

MJCronin - not too many in our neck of the woods. We are one of two in my local area. Then there's the awkwardness of phoning up your competitor...lol

I am going to talk to our AI about this, and get their take. It started from an internal discussion between myself (QMgr) and our Eng Mgr about our nameplate design, and how we could properly accomodate this case. I was generally leaning towards fleischfresser's (love the handle Juergen!) take that the info can be on the same nameplate as long as it is clearly delineated.

I will let you all know what our AI says, if it departs radically from the above. But I get the feeling it won't.

Cheers
Sean

At one employer we sometimes had enough Code nameplates, supplementary info plates, caution plates, etc. that I joked that we should just mount them all on a spiral spine like a notebook and you could just flip thru them :)

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back