Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-threaded solver warning 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristene

Structural
Jan 19, 2014
IN
Hi,

I came across a "warning" when using "Multi-threaded solver". SAP2000 reports structure is ill conditioned/unstable and suggests using "Standard solver". See the attached screenshot for warning message. When I analysed the same model using Advanced/Standard solver not even a single warnings. I was unable to make sense out of it, please let me know if you found something.

getfile.aspx

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have no experience with SAP2000 and this type of error. However, based on my work developing similar software (RISA) I can guess at the intent of this error message.

Whenever a software program introduces a new or advanced solver, it is likely to encounter "issues" with the solver. If we've been using the same software in our program for 20+ years, then we have good error messages that trigger anytime anything unusual pops up. We've got tolerances and special routines built into the solver to handle other "issues" internally without annoying the user.

But, the newer solvers don't have those multiple years worth of de-bugging, so they are likely to generate more error messages. Sometimes those error messages are going to be less explanatory than you would get with the regular solver. When this happens, the software will often point you back to the older (and slower) solvers because we know that they will either be able to handle the issue or will give a better error message about what exactly the issue is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back