Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multifilling of sugar in a truck 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

geraldmueller

Industrial
Jul 25, 2006
NL
I'm searching for a better solution to fill sugar in bulk form in a truck. So far the truck is filled with 25 to of sugar via one fixed pipe. Due to the bad flowing of the sugar the location of the truck and the filling hole has to be changed several times. This costs a lot of loading time and money.

Is there an industrial solution to fill six holes of a truck simultaneously?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on how much you want to spend.
One solution I've seen used a series of holding bins on legs under which the truck parked. Gates on all bins were opened simultaneously without needing to move. A cross auger over the tops of the bins allowed them to be filled when there were no trucks waiting or between trucks.
Another less costly solution that reduced the number of times the truck needed to move was to install a flexible spout to the pipe so more length could be filled at each positioning of the truck.
Look at some grain handling systems sites. Your problem differs mainly in the flow characteristics.

Griffy

A quick search showed several varieties of food grade dry bulk trailers, some 'ventilated', which I assume means you can introduce dry gas to fluidize the sugar. In which case I'd imagine you could fill the trailer from the bottom using just the one pipe.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back