Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Multiple Configuration Dimensional Control 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMarinshaw

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2002
US
Given a part with multiple, existing configurations or adding a new configuration to an single configuration part: When adding a new configuration and assigning new dimensional valves to an existing feature, the default setting when editing the dimension value is "apply to all configurations" and I have to de-select and change to "this configuration only", otherwise the dimension change intended for the new configuration get applied to all previous configs. As diligent as I try to be, if I overlook it and forget to change before I save the part, I'm screwed. I have spent countless hours correcting other configs when this happens. My VAR says SW recognizes if multiple configs exist and the dimensional change is applied to only the new config. But that is not correct.

My question is - Anyone know if there is a setting somewhere to change so that the new dimensions are applied to "this configuration only" as a default. Running SW 2011 SP4, Windows 7x64. I know I can control this problem by using a new feature instead of configuration editing of existing feature dimensions. Doing it this way make the model grow with a whole bunch of suppressed features - makes debugging "strange or unintentional" dimensional changes a nightmare. Any other ways to work-around or problem control would be helpful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the Feature Manager, right-click a feature and select Configure Feature. In the box that appears, click the All Parameters icon. Adding configs and changing dimensions there, does not present the This Configuration "problem".

Thanks CBL. That will work, although I wish there were a way to change the default icon for the on-screen dimension edit box that comes up... just as a back-up

Like CBL mentioned... I prefer to use a design table as soon as my configurations start to add up. This allows me to see all variations at the same time.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back