Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Data Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatmate

Petroleum
Jun 13, 2013
GB
I have 5 (Five) data inputs... one is variable and is dependant on the input value (so looking for a range) three are columns and one is a row... complicated I know.

I have looked at using Lookup, Index and Match.

Any suggestions or examples?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless I'm missing an easy way (which is possible), I don't think that's going to be easy in a spreadsheet, but it should be straightforward in a database.

If this is something you are going to use long-term, with additions and changes to the table of rates, then I'd suggest doing it in a database application.

If you want to do it in a spreadsheet anyway, let us know.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Based upon your current table, you don't have all of the data for the choices (e.g., you currently don't have any results if its myHermes & Courier_Collection). Additionally, there's a column of data (Col M) in your spreadsheet that isn't factored in your data from Col A - E. Is this related to insurance of the item/ it's costs (e.g., for MyHermes, Pacel_Drop_Off, Parcel in col M you have values from 0 to 250.1)

See the attached file for some ideas:

In Column I have combined columns J,K and L:
=J3&K3&L3

Similarly in cell E13 I have combined the Courier, Service and Type entries:
=B13&C13&D13

So in F13 a Match function will return the right section of the table.

I have also added a horizontal match on the weight, and a separate match on the value, depending on the return from the main match function.

These are combined in an Index function to return the postage price.

It will take a fair bit of work to make it reliable and robust if you want to add new categories and services, etc though.

Also note you had a typo in postage in the main table, which was stopping Match functions from working.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back