Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Day Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiowater

Civil/Environmental
Jan 2, 2003
US
I have a client in Ohio that has requested mutliple day tanks for their coagulant system, even though the only feed point is pre-filtration, no post-feed. They have three solids contact units and the coagulant is being mixed by high-rate induction mixers in open chambers upstream of the SCUs (raw water splits evenly into the three upstream chambers). They want to dedicate a day tank to each SCU for some reason instead of drawing out of one day tank with three metering pumps (one pump dedicated to each induction mixer/SCU). The day tank is on a load cell and each feed line has a magmeter.

Anyone ever heard of this? What advantage to the client is there? I have never designed a chemical system this way other than for hypo or pH adjustment chemicals with both pre- and post-feed points. Before I go to the state to inquire, I thought I would check on here first. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't believe that there is a "standard" layout for chemicals or that what your client has proposed is prohibited by regulations.

The proposed layout will have a slightly higher installation cost, but if the owner agrees to pay for it, I don't see a problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back