Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple extrudes from one sketch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguy136

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2011
US
Can I create a sketch with several shapes and select what parts of the sketch is extruded/ cut extruded?

Thanks

NX 7.5

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. Just watch the selection filter, so you don't select more than you want. You can also toggle on/off the stop at intersection option if needed.

-Dave

NX 5.0.6.3mp7

Single Curve with Stop at Intersection worked. Thanks!
Can I ask for more - I have to click on the two vertical lines and the two arcs. Can I click in the center open area and it picks that area with one click?

Depends on what version of NX you're running. Starting with NX 7.5 we added an additional option to the selection 'Curve Rule' titled 'Region Boundary Curves'. In this case all that you need to do is place your cursor in the 'region' and you will see it highlight and when you press MB1 that region will be used as the selected profile. Note that there are some limitations, such as the fact that this only works with sketches or the faces of a body, that in the case of a sketch, the boundary must be defined by a single sketch, that is you can't use overlapping sketches and use this new selection option (the manual selection tools including stop at intersection and single select will work with multiple overlapping sketches).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

You can't create that solid as a single feature since the model is non-manifold (specifically you have edges which are attempting to be shared by more than 2 faces, a classic non-manifold condition). The best that you can do is to create it as two separate features, the single 'circular' central body as one extrude feature and the two 'C-shaped' sections as the second feature.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back