Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple holes normal to surface, macro improvements request (releted to: thread560-473924)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max997

Aerospace
Jun 15, 2023
IT
Hi everyone,
I recently read about this thread: thread560-473924 discussing the need for a script that instantiates a series of holes normal to a given surface. This was very lucky for me, and I'm now using that macro for my work. A real time saver! Thanks to @LWolf for making it. However I'm not very good at editing macros, I was able to modify it to change the hole type to countersunk, but I don't know how to do much else. I'd like to kindly ask if anyone could help me modifying the script to implement some useful function for everyone, for example:

1. Add the ability to select Geometrical Sets with a dialog box (they are currently defined in the script), and if possible the ability to change the basic holes parameters (diameter and depth) in a popup window.

2. Introduce a coincidence constraint between the point that is created in the sketch and the one defined in the GS HoleCenterPoints, so when you modify the 3D points, the positions of the holes update automatically. (now the sketch are not fully constrained, so when you change your 3D points, the holes doesn't move)

3. Add the ability to use a non-isolated surface as support for hole normals (If it helps, I solved this problem by replacing the isolated surface with its parametric version after creating the holes, easy process.)

also, could the process be simplified by eliminating the use of sketches and normal planes for creating the holes? Maybe using 3D points and a line normal to the surface to create the feature.

I olso read in the thread that the user @jzecha already made similar changes to the code. It would be great if he would share it with us.

I hope you find this idea useful for you too.

Thanks to LWolf again for the macro and to all the users who participated in the discussion.

greetings to everyone

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back