Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple load cases on Workbench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Aponte

Petroleum
Mar 9, 2022
IT
Did you ever use ANSYS to evaluate Euro Code compliance of a silo / a structure? Idea is have some basic loads ( pressure, weight, wind, earthquake ) and starting from them evaluate al long list of combinations. Coefficients and combinations are clear, this is not the topic of this post.

If I have 100 combinations I can duplicate 100 times the static structural and setup each one with all the needing basic loads multiply by the correct factors. It work but it is vvery long way.

I seen on tutorials ( is here: ) that it is possible prepare 1 substep for each basic single loads ( alone without the others and after that, thru the APDL command console writting some code that formalizile how to scale is basic loads and what to add together.

It work: displacements and loads on fondations are indicated but stress is always zero. I don't understand why...

Franckly speaking I don't think the solution combination proposed by ANSYS is correct because this way kills all the not linearity of the system, so for example on nozzle where are reinforcing plates with a frictional contact we don't will evaluate the real situation.

Some advise?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Principal of Superposition is not applicable to nonlinear analysis. Solution combination in ANSYS does exactly the same. You need to setup these analysis if you have to. But I would reduce the case count by considering the critical ones first and/or compare the magnitudes of loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back