Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Outlet Structures in VTPSUHM

Status
Not open for further replies.

migotis

Civil/Environmental
Jan 10, 2003
US
Working on a project where the 2 year storm is supposed to discharge from the stormwater management pond to a bioretenion facility. All other storms are to discharge to an existing 30" Road Culvert. Was planning on using two separate structures, one to discharge the 2 year event to the bioretention area and the other to discharge all other storms to the 30" culvert.

Is there a way to model two outlet structures in the same pond in VTPSUHM?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are ways to model multiple outlets in some programs. I do not know what the abreviation "VTPSUHM" stands for. You are much more likely to get an answer if you spell out all abreviations the first time you use them in a post....or any other writing.

good luck

I have used VTPSUHM (The Virginia Tech version of the Penn State Urban Hydrology Model) for years. It is a decent program, although much more clunky with data entry and limiting with design manipulation than some others.

I do not think you can accurately do this using VTPSUHM. There is only one tailwater setting, and your outfalls will have different tailwater characteristics. You can conservatively route the pond twice, use both Discharge Pipes and all other outlets each time though, or the routing will not be valid. During the 2-year inflow with no tailwater, to verify all that volume gets to the bioretention (I assume you are trying to meet Phase II WQ), and doesn't go out the 30" pipe. During the higher storms, set a conservative tailwater...at least enough to submerge the smaller Discharge Pipe, and I would want to see the entire depth of the biofacility...to show the design storm is depeaked and verify the 100-year flood is safely routed.

The reviewer should buy this; I believe I would. Fax or email him this scenario first though, before driving up your client's billings.

If you have a grated (horizontal) outlet in the controls, you will have to reduce the headwater, or VTPSUHM will not run the routing...one of the big drawbacks of this program, and one of the things that made me seek alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back