Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Multiple Relief Valves Arrangement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy_oohhh

Chemical
Jul 11, 2019
US
I have a tank that needs multiple relief valves. Is their a standard that tells me how I should arrange them? For example can I manifold them from one nozzle, manifold from multiple nozzles, or can I just simply install them on separate nozzles. I don't think it makes a difference.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tank or pressure or pressure vessel?

Manifold makes it harder to calculate the pressure loss in the inlet to the valve ibe the Manifold is a lot bigger than the valve inlet.

Also think how you intend to maintain them. Do you need to have most on line at the same time?

How many is multiple?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

My $0.02. KISS. Buy a 1” PSV and save the two 3/4” PSVs for a right-sized application. A 1” PSV is not that expensive.

Good Luck,
Latexman

andy_oohhh said:
Is their a standard that tells me how I should arrange them?
API 520-2, ISO 4126-9
My 2¢ - any arrangement/layout will be ok if it guarantees relief of excess pressure and does not conflict with local codes.

Does the current arrangement of 2 RV nozzles imply that this is meant to be 2 x 100% RVs' ( ie one online and the other inline but isolated). If this sparing philosophy must be retained, then you should query why a larger RV is now proposed. Has the process design relief load now increased when compared to the original design. Or is the RV relief rate remained the same ?

Challenge the requirement for the larger 1inch inlet RV size.

I'm confused now.

So you have two 1" relief valves and four 3/4" nozzles? OR??

I'm pretty sure you can manifold as many nozzles together as you want to get the acceptable pressure losses down at full flow to I think it's 3%? of set point.

Is the RV system set up for relief through two RV's or just one at a time?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back