Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple shot impacts, what load type to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperboy84

Civil/Environmental
Dec 14, 2010
GB
Hi everyone,

I am trying to simulate the shot peening process in Abaqus. Large number of shots (approx 10 000 shots) impacting on a metal surface and creating compressive residual stresses.The shot-shot interaction in the shot peening process is simulated in a different application and I would like to apply the forces acting on the treatment surface in Abaqus.

What is the appropriate load type to use in the simulation? Concentrated force, pressure, surface traction etc.?

The simulation is very computational and I would like to use a load type that requires less computation time and that provides reasonable accurate results.

Thank you for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never modeled anything similar to that however here is my usual method for this sort of out there simulation.

Create a small (low element count) representative model and try a bunch of simulation strategies until you find the one that works best with the following metrics (time, accuracy, robustness). Robustness: if you make a tiny tweak does it still work such as a remesh.

Maybe someone has done a similar analysis if so they will probably be more help. Once you have the simple model setup you can also post it here since it is unlikely that it holds proprietary information. I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Thank you for your suggestions Rob.

My output odb file is exceeding a few hundred GB. Is there a way of reducing the file size by change the History or Field Output interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back