Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiple small openings in pressure vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackegl

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2016
US
I am trying to figure out how to put multiple small openings in a pressure vessel and I am having a hard time figuring out what sections of the code apply to what I am doing.
Design pressure - 500 PSIG
Design Max Temp - 200 Deg F
C.A. - 0.00"
MDMT - -20 Deg F
Carbon Steel Vessel: SA-516-70, 0.626" THK Shell 36" OD Horizontal

I am trying to put a 16" gas dome on top of the vessel without putting a 16" hole in the shell. So underneath the gas dome i want to pop in a couple 2" OD holes. 1 in the center along the center line of the vessel and then 6 equally spaced around the center hole. The pitch between the holes will be 4".

Per UG-36(c)(3)(-a)(-2) my opening would not require reinforcement other than inherent. So I have calculated the UG-40 Limits of Reinforcement UG-40(b)(1) as "d" the diameter of the finished opening only because i have no nozzle in the hole, just an open hole. So would it be correct to assume that if I place my holes such that I have 4" pitch, 2" OD hole - 2" gap - 2" OD hole, that I would not have a shared reinforcement situation and therefore I can stick with just UG-36(c)(3)(-a)(-2) and not need any additional reinforcement? Or am I completely missing something and need to take into consideration UG-53?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back