Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Valve Application, Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotfoot3946

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2007
US
Greetings,

My questions/comments apply to the Honda CX-500 series of motorcycle engines, specif the 1980 CX-500. (Restoration Project)

Other info: Transverse "V" twin, liquid cooling. Four valves per cylinder.

It seems logical that engine designer(s) would not necessarily "reinvent the wheel" if valves for other applications are available/suitable. It may be possible that the valves used in said CX engine have other applications (most likely Honda autos of the era or "small engines" ie; home generators etc). A "keep it in the family" thing.

It would be great to discover that reasonably priced auto valves of stainless steel (they are available) are suitable as replacement for the late 1970's motorcycle OEM steel units. More appropriate for year 2007 fuels...corrosion/errosion less of a problem. Esp when the engine not run, (winter storage etc).

The CX valves in question measure as follows: (These are used valves, wear/corrosion/errosion, 26000 miles of use...the dimensions reflect such)

Intake: OAL 4.050", Shank OD .2585", Head OD 1.222"
Exhaust: OAL 4.085", Shank OD .2580", Head OD 1.066"

Would there be a lubrication issue with valve guide composition if stainless valves are substituted?

Your thoughts/comments most appreciated.

Hotfoot3946

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Mr Hotfoot,
Yes a tricky question indeed.A guy I work with was telling me yesterday that he's running a Datsun 180b piston in his IT490 dirt bike minus the oil rings!So it's all possible.No doubt there will be valves of the exact size you need somewhere in the automative archives,it'll just test your dilligence in finding them.Another point is that generally motorcycles,for good reason,are regarded as much higher performance vehicles and the substrate material will be more exotic and harder wearing.Point being even though your bike isn't a fire breathing monster I would be dubious about running passenger car valves in a nicely restored machine for fear of mechanical failure.Just my opinion.The IT 490 guy obviously isn't too worried about this. Good luck with it Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back