Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple working directories? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dad1

Mechanical
Dec 9, 2005
My second question?? What is the easiest way to open assemblies when you need to pull parts in from multiple directories? As everybody knows --- the assemblies always fail.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to set up search paths in your config.pro file.

search_path <path to 1st directory>
search_path <path to 2nd directory>
search_path <etc>

--
Fighter Pilot
Manufacturing Engineer

I'm beginning to realize just how difficult this Pro/E is --- and I don't want to sound like a real dope, but how do you access the config.pro file???

Again --- to show my in-experience - When I click on utilities - options is not one of the choices????

Try Tools-Options

You can also create an external file named search.pro and point to it from your config.pro with search_path_file. This makes it easier to change the search paths.

PTC recommends that the full path be used to avoid problems.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

Just for the record guys ---- I am a college graduate - I'm don't think that I am stupid, I have been in and out of the Engineering profession for some 25 years now -- and shouldn't be having so much trouble. Under utilities as I mentioned there is no config.pro. Also I don't know if there are numerous versions of Pro/E 2000i2, but there is no Tools tab anywhere to be found either???

You can also just edit the config.pro and search.pro directly; config.pro will likely be in your Pro/E startup directory (which can be easily found by selecting Set Working Directory; it starts the dialog box in this directory).

In config.pro, add a line like this:

search_path_file C:\[the path to the file]\search.pro

(Note that "search.pro" can be any text-format file, named whatever you like, on any drive.)
Then create a file at that location, named search.pro, and create entries like:

search_path C:\COMPON~1\BEARINGS
search_path C:\COMPON~1\BUSHINGS
search_path C:\COMPON~1\ELECTR~1

Where each entry corresponds to a directory where you'd like Pro/E to search for components. (You can choose any path, I've used DOS ASCII 8.3-style filenames, because I don't completely trust Pro/E 2001 to accurately handle long Windows Unicode filenames.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back