Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiplex Comm1 in PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

delth

Electrical
Jan 23, 2008
GB
Hi

For my application I need to read/Write Data betwen 2 diferents devices at diferents times and I was wondering if Can I use a mechanical cube relay to switch my RS232 Comm1 betwen this two devices?

Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, this is my application:
This is an old Computer that has a Software application in Borland Delphi V3 by running in an OS Win NT 3.X
Actually Comm1 and Comm2 are busy and now my customer is requesting me to implement a RS232 Temperature Sensor
( by monitor the tempreature each 60Sec.

My problem is:
I dont have any PCI in spare in order to add a Serial Card
There are 2 USB but doesn't Work!

At this moment I was thinking in interconnect one of the Comms to an mechanical Relay and make switch between the Current device connected an the new RS232 Temperaure Sensor...

PLEASE if you have a better and clean idea let me know
I will appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance

I would tell your customer that they need to upgrade the PC as part of the package. This will also give them a fall back position - should anything go wrong with the upgrade the existing system is unchanged.

It will also make your life easier as much of the work can be done at base rather than unknowns on site - potentially leading to savings for the customer as on site work and travelling is costly.

You can use USB to Serial adapters rather than having to use internal cards, this makes it a standard PC should anything fail in future. Easysync make industrial USB/serial convertors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back