Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multistage restriction orifice

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidzgz

Petroleum
Aug 13, 2015
US
Dear colleagues,
I'm working in acoustic induced vibration studies and I have a doubt about how I can calculate a PWL(source).
According to guidelines from Energy Institute, if I had a single restriction orifice,RO, (pressure drop) with a high value of PWL (T2.7.3), I could reduce the AIV risk using a multi-stage device. This is a common corrective action applied in some situation.

However, i don't know how I should calculate the new PWL source value, lower than single RO. Most suppliers calculate the value of dBA, which is different from dB. Sometimes it is neccesary a quantitative evaluation.

We assume two restriction orifices arranged in series. Up to know, I have applied two times the basic equation with an intermediate pressure: P0,P1(intermediate) and P2. I use the same flowrate in both cases P0,P1 and P1,P2.
PWLa=10log10(((P0-P1)/P0)^3.6 * W^2 * (Te/Mw)^1.2)+126.1+SFF
PWLb=10log10(((P1-P2)/P1)^3.6 * W^2 * (Te/Mw)^1.2)+126.1+SFF
And then, assuming simultaneous work (conservative way) : PWLt= 10log10(10^(PWLa/10) + 10^(PWLb/10))

The gain obtained is not significant (1-2dB) and this fact causes me a doubt if it should be the correct calculation. What do you think about?

I will appreciate any consideration which contributes to clarify the methodology.
Thanks in advance to everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back