Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

MV cable testing in nuclear plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLFit

Electrical
Feb 28, 2005
US
Are there requirements from somewhere, maybe the NRC, requiring nuclear plant operators to perform diagnostic or withstand testing on medium voltage shielded cable in nuclear plants? maybe partial discharge or tan delta or some of the other methods?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Before installation (for product certification)? Or as-installed (insulation and connectivity checks?) or as-maintained/life-cycle extension testing?

Medium voltage meaning 440/480 VAC power and utility service cables to welders, heaters, fans, etc?

Thanks for the response. Medium voltage cables 5 - 35 kV in rating. In the case of nuclear plants, most are probably rated for 5, 8, or 15 kV. The testing is usually done when installed, usually just an AC Withstand test to find defective installation locations or defective accessories. The testing is also performed over time as a maintenance test. Usually a diagnostic method, like Tan Delta testing, is done rather than a pass/fail overvoltage withstand test. They test all the cables, or a large portion, at one time, gather the data, and then make a comparative analysis of their results. From this they can determine where their priorities are for replacement or maybe injection. This is a common practice and I thought there was some directive to Nuclear plants to do this. Maybe not, but I thought I would throw the question out there. It's an important subject in the area of cable maintenance. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back