Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

MV System Earthing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegemite

Electrical
Jul 28, 2002
AU
Are there examples of either industrial or utility MV (approximately 1 to 33 kV) distribution systems operating without any form of system earth. By any form I exclude even voltage transformer earthing. I mean fully floating.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the first half of the century 440 volt ungrounded delta secondary industrial systems were common. The insulated conductors in conduit formed a capacitor that gave a reference to ground on a system of any size. Not much current. Enough to get a reading on a voltmeter. On a large system enough current to kill you but not enough to burn you. Some old timers would check for voltage by grounding the end of a piece of #14 copper and scratching the other end across the hot terminal. They would get a small spark from the capacitor charging current.
The other connection to ground was the three "Ground detector lights." If you got a ground on one phase one of the lights went out. Usually neon lamps about an inch in diameter were used. I once met an old electrician about a week after he used the old method on a new 1000 KVA 277/480 solidly grounded transformer. His hands were still in bandages the size of boxing gloves.

yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back