Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My first solidworks frame 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks great. No "design" comments per se, just wanted to thank you for an interesting post. Now I want to build one!

Best regards,

Joseph

Only one comment. I appears that a rear brake caliper will not fit on the brake bridge. It appears that it will hit the seat stays before seating on the bridge.

One more thing on material. Have your worked out any numbers on tube OD verse wall thickness? Also, do you plan to buy the tube set from a supplier or are you planning to form those seat and chain stays yourself?

Other than that it looks like a good first swag....keep refinning it before cutting material.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Cool!

I see what you mean by the brake caliper not fitting.

I have not worked out numbers for tube OD/thickness. I used a thickness of 1mm for most of the tubes which may not be realistic. Might be cheaper to use stocked tubes so i would use those. Also, I would like a small OD as possible but i'm not even sure yet what loads to use and what my goal would be in terms of strength. i'll have to find my mechanics of materials textbook and crunch some numbers i guess.

The SS and CS i'm hoping they can form without too much cost.

you seem very experience in all this and I appreciate your input. thanks!

dubbed,

One thing that just jumped out at me is you have a brake bridge and disk brake tabs. Is this a pure road bike of a cross bike? You may find it hard to sell a road bike with a disk dropout. I have the name of a company at home that sells tube sets and they make Ti frames for other companies.

You will not be able to afford a custom tube set. I tried to order some custom 2024 structural tubing for a job once and Alcoa wanted big bucks and high production quantity to run that tube. I think it would almost be better to go with Easton carbon CS or SS until you get all the bugs worked out. But it can be done the first time out.....I would suggest contacting Strong cycles. Best of luck

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Yeah wasn't sure which brake setup to go with, so added both for now.

I was hoping the CS and SS wouldn't be so "custom" but more similar to what the company is used to producing. I'll have to talk more about them with that, whoever they will be. I think having it made in the states first might be a good idea too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back