Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My new job - getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

sughew

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2005
GB
Hi

I am due to begin my new job since graduation as a reliability engineer. As you may expect, I am a tad nervous!

Can anyone give me any advice and tips on how to get started and perform on my job.

Thank you
Sughew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are given a task and have no clue how to do it, give it your best shot and come up with something, rather than ask your boss how to do every little step. They are most likely trying to find things to keep you busy until they figure out exactly what to do with you, and it defeats the purpose if you are constantly bugging them for direction. It also makes you more resourceful, and forces you to go elsewhere in the company for information thereby learning the internal structure.

On the opp end of what proletariat said,

Don't suppose you know everything. Realize the tasks you are given will be given at first will be to gage not only your ability, but where they begin their teaching/mentoring process.

So while it is a good idea to not bother the higher-ups with simple questions, you should definitely "bug" them with relevant questions about things that you don't understand.

The old addage (from jerry mcguire) "Help me, help you"!

Also, understand that just because you don't know something that you think should be "simple" doesnt' mean either.

good luck.

Wes C.
------------------------------
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

-Be prepared to do tedious tasks, as most probably they will throw at you the tasks that nobody wanted ot had time to do. It's a fact of life.

-Be patient and make questions already with a possible solution in mind:
"How do you want to deal/solve/progress with XXXX? I tought about doing like this, what do you think?"
This will score points in your card, because even if your idea is not accepted (and eventually it will not), you show to your superiors that you tought about it and you are willing to solve issues.

-Keep on reading Eng-tips.

Good luck.

In your first job, I've always thought that if they don't sack you the first day then you can guarantee that you've made it.

As opposed to proletariat's view I'd ask many questions. Make sure you don't ask the same question twice though as you'll appear slow. There's always someone who will be keen to help and others who are just plain prickly. Find out who these are and avoid the hedgehogs.

corus

Yes corus, that is good advice. Now, here's the secret for dealing with hedgehogs...

Never, ever, have to as the same question twice, if somebody answered you properly the first time.

Buy a notebook, preferably A4 (US Letter), hardcover. Carry it with you. When you ask a hedgehog a question, write the answer down.

If you find something out, write the answer down. If you derive an interesting result... well you've guessed it.

I have 4 A4 notebooks, which I filled over the first ten years out of uni. I still write things in the fifth, and occcasionally flick through the other 4.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Go in with the attitude that everyone has something worthwhile to learn, yes, even the custodian. Especially the line-people/operators. Let them know you understand that they're the ones that have a direct link to the money coming into the company (as product ships out). If they understand that you're not an aloof engineer who thinks you're better than them, they will help you maneuver around the various roadblocks and social landmines in a work environment. And, it will help to get their input if they're in direct contact with your work/designs. Does no good to make adjustments which no one buys into.

I amplify what Greg says. Slightly different but we get a lot of interns here. I'm more than happy to answer their questions but when they repeatedly ask me the same thing it gets frustrating. Make sure and write things down in a central place like a sturdy note book. You could use a palm pilot whatever but what happens when the batteries die etc, plus some people may think geek/hotshot etc based on you using one.

Along the lines of asking questions, if someone gives you the answer make sure you understand it. If need be repeat back to them what you think they told you to make sure. However, only do this once, had one intern who would tell you what you told him about 5 times, got old quickly.

Congrats on the new job, now get read for a rollercoaster career ride!

Start developing your professional soft skills. As highlighted in this thread that communication is important, even if nobody talks to you for a day, make sure the next day you have some sort of conversation with your boss and fellow co-workers. Even if you have to make an excuse to get some face time. Another soft skill is to be a team player. Since you started, you will get fill work until they can attach you to a real project. Even though the fill work is boring, still do it to the best of your ability. Even on a real project, there is still boring work that has to be done and may go to you. Again do the work to the best of your ability. This will show that you are enthusiastic and willing to learn the project from the paper work to the design it self.

Another tip that comes off the top of my head is to cover your butt as much as possible. Make copies of everything you do, decide, direction that you were given, hardware that you are planning to use, emails from and to vendors, any analysis you have done, key conversations you had…etc. Six months from now, somebody is going to come into your cube to discusses why you did something this way at that point you can pull out the info and answer back with some intelligence. Also, apart from keeping an organized notebook this goes the same with your filing cabinet.

Good Luck!

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

Like others have posted...expect some very boring almost meaningless tasks for awhile. If you keep running out of things to do, don't bug your boss to keep you busy. He knows... Instead spend that time learning the company procedures policies, etc... Familarize yourself with company history, key players, managers, etc...

When you need help, look to the "younger" engineers (folks that have been with the company 2-3 years and are not too much older than you). The "seasoned professionals" (a.k.a. old guys) are usually happy and willing to help, but save their advice for down the road when you're really going to need it. If someone or a group of people ask you to join them for lunch, go with them and be yourself even if you brought your lunch that day. Dress just a hair above the "average" dress standard for the office with always neatly pressed clothes. Keep a neat and trim appearance, smile, take advice/direction graciously, and keep yourself physically active outside of work.

Oh yeah...and expect to work three times as hard to stay in shape if you are going to have a desk job...

Hope this helps...

Also...familarize yourself with the company benefits (medical/dental/401k/etc...) Start contributing to your 401k as soon as possible and be sure to take advantage of any company matching.

Good Luck!

Sughew,

I posted a similar thread earlier - found here:

There was a lot of useful information there. The one I have used the most is the hint to keep a list of things to do tomorrow. I never did this before but have since and it has help me keep things organized and make sure I do not let anything slip by. It is very helpful for prioritizing your responsibilities.

Also, keep using this forum as it is incredibly helpful.

I've been told that actually scheduling items to be done not just listing them is more effective. That said my schedule moves so much that it takes too much time to keep fully up to date so maybe a 'to do list' is best.

Certainly better than no list.

On a similar line never have a meeting without taking notes and preferably summarising them and emailing to all at the meeting.

A meeting without recording any decisions/actions is pointless. emailing them out makes sure everyone is on the same page, or at least can be. Also covers your but when asked, 'why did you do that' you can say 'you said so, see I put it in the minutes/notes' and show them the email.

Actually that may be poor advice about the 401k. It is not automatically the best financial decision for a young person. It is a safe option to recommend but not necessarily the most sensible in the long term.

The financial implications are significant and very detail dependent.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Be punctual. If you say you will show up for a 10AM meeting, be there at 10AM.

Say what you are going to do, and do what you have said. If you said you will call someone back, call them back - even if it's 8PM, you are 3 hours late (leave a voicemail if you must).

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

But one thing about a company match portion of the 401K is it's your yearly pay raise even if you salary stays the same....free money.

Wes - I use that line a lot "Help me, Help you!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back